22.9.10

Le Potatoes du Mashed Goodness

I really don’t think that there is anything spectacularly original or innovative about this recipe. It’s just your ordinary mashed potatoes and gravy. But sometimes that’s exactly what a person happens to be craving at the moment. So, when I saw this recipe pop up on the Vegan Ronin’s blog, I started to get all dreamy thinking about mashed potatoes and gravy. Ironically enough, the reason I have been wanting them so badly is that the school cafeteria serves them, and, since I never buy lunch, I see my friends walking out with this really creamy, luscious pile of potatoes and white gravy. Of course, I would never eat that stuff. Think of all the butter and oil that probably goes into those potatoes! So, this is my healthier version of brown gravy, with simple mashed potatoes.


The first night we had this dish, the gravy was extremely watery. But, when I peeked at it the next day, the gravy had thickened up oh so nicely. I am actually drooling just thinking about it. An extremely satisfying dish, even if it ain’t all that pretty…

Garlic Mashed Potatoes and Brown Gravy

Adapted from VegWeb
The gravy makes a ton, so I would advise making several rounds of potatoes…

The Potaotes

Yukon gold potatoes, diced, I left the peels on mine but it’s personal preference
Milk, as needed
Pepper
Tarragon or other herbs
Thyme
Garlic, amount depending on your taste
In a large pot of boiling water, cook the potatoes until tender, about 12-15 minutes. Mash- I used my potato masher, but anything will do. Mix in the other ingredients to your liking.

Killer Brown Gravy

3 tablespoons brown flour
3 cups milk
1 ½ tbsp soy sauce
Sprinkling of salt
Sprinkling of garlic powder
1/2 cup onion, finely diced
Sprinkling of black pepper

Heat a saucepan coated with nonstick spray over medium heat. Add a bit of water. Then stir in the flour until it is all mixed. Add the milk a bit at a time, stirring until the flour is unlumpy. Crank up the heat, and add the remaining ingredients. Bring to almost a boil, and cook until you are ready to use.

Just as a side note, this will probably not be very thick the first night, but it will thicken up incredibly well overnight.

No comments:

Post a Comment