1.10.10

The Cutest Thing I Have Ever Seen... And a Sweet Stir Fry

I love my cookbook Wok. It is like an Asian food bible- I think it’s pretty authentic, too. So many good looking recipes… So much to eat… so. Much. FOOD! But that’s a good thing for a chef, is it not?

Here’s yet another odd recipe that I gave a whirl last night, when there was really nothing else to cook. I really ended up improving the veggies, and the combination turned out really good. And the sauce was a total impromptu invention, too. But that seemed, as M put it, “to hit the spot” that night. You could barely taste the apricots, but they were there, adding a nice touch of sweetness along with the mirin.
And the chicken… Ok, when I opened the package, I was amazed. Those Asians are weird. No offense if you are Asian- I would love to be Asian, I think that ethnicity produces some of the best people, and best food a person can find. It tasted like the frozen bean curd sheets (aka yuba), and I really love that taste and texture. I have nothing to say about what shape came out of the package though. Just that it was adorable. Super, super, super, cute. And one of the oddest things that I have ever seen in my whole life. Just look at the picture, and I highly recommend getting this exact product, if you can get your hands on it. Just for a good laugh, if nothing else.








Mock Chicken Stir Fry with Sweet Apricot Sauce

Serves 4

Inspired by Wok
1 Veri Soy vegetarian mock chicken, defrosted and chopped
2 baby bok choy, chopped
2 carrots, coined
1 bunch green onions, chopped into 1 inch lengths
1 large red bell pepper, chopped
1 can straw mushrooms, drained
1 large onion, sliced thick
2 cups broccoli florets
3 cloves garlic, pressed
1 inch piece ginger, grated
Chili sauce, to taste
Juice of 1 lime
5 tbsp sugar free apricot jam
4 tbsp soy sauce
4 tbsp mirin
1 tbsp Better Than Bullion Ham Flavouring

Mix together the chili sauce through the ham flavouring.
Heat a wok over high heat with a bit of water. Add the onions and carrots. After two minutes add the broccoli, ginger and garlic, and cook for two more minutes. Add the bell pepper and green onions. Mix thoroughly, and add the mushrooms. Cook for another minute or so, and add the chicken, then bok choy, and sauce. Make sure there is enough sauce at the bottom to suite your taste- I had to add a bit more soy sauce, but I think the amount is pretty accurate! Saute until the bok choy is wilted, and the chicken is completely heated through. Serve over rice, noodles, or whatever suits your fancy.

No comments:

Post a Comment