15.8.10

Apple Cole Slaw

This is an odd little cole slaw that I had obtained quite a long time ago from All Recipes.  I say odd because it is quite simple, and yet is so utterly delicious!  And, atleast to me, the ingredients seem like quite an odd combination.  But, every so often  I get a craving for a cold, crunchy, creamy salad, and this is the one that comes to mind.  The ingredient are something that M and I always keep around, so, as we were really out of things for lunch today, I decided that this would fit the bill for cooling us off on another one of these ridiculously hot days. 
I normally just eyeball the ingredients when I make this cole slaw, and they are really quite flexible.  I also sometimes play with the ingredients, and would encourage you to do the same! 
One thing, though.  The apples need to be coated in lemon juice, if the salad is going to sit around very long, because that will prevent them from going brown.  What I did this most recent time was, since the juice was in a little plastic bowl, I put a couple apple slices in there and shook it up.  I have also just dipped the apples in the juice.  Just whatever seems practical at the time.
It's also very easy to make more servings of this, if you have more mouths to feed...

Apple Cole Slaw

Adapted from Allrecipes

Serves 2, generously



2 1/2 cups chopped cabbage

1 unpeeled red apple, cored and chopped
1 small carrot chopped
1/3 cup chopped red bell pepper
1 green onion, chopped
3 tbsp fat free mayonnaise
2 tbsp brown sugar
1 tablespoon lemon juice, or to taste

Mix together the cabbage, apple (coated with lemon juice), carrot, pepper, and onion.  Add the mayo, sugar, and remaining lemon juice, and stir to coat.  Refridgerate until ready to serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment