7.8.10

Now I Remember Why I Don't Eat Wraps

This recipe had caught my eye a few weeks ago when it was first posted on the Cheap Healthy Good blog.  I hadn't had a wrap in ages, and I knew M is extremely fond of them.  So I decided to give this recipe a whirl, and see how things turned out. 
The filling for this wrap is expecially good- roasted bell peppers, white beans, and spinach.  Roasted red peppers are really a favourite, and a real treat too because they are quite a bother to make.  Either the peppers are two dollars a pop because it's winter, or M and I avoid the oven like the plauge when it is a hundred plus degrees outside.  But I managed to get the roasting done at seven in the morning, which helped some. 
I have found the easiest and fastest way to roast peppers is to coat a pan with nonstick spray, cut the peppers in half and stem them, and broil the peppers for about 15 minutes.  Then I stick them in a plastic bag, zip it, and the steam from the peppers tends to loosen the skin.  You can then peel and seed them, and chop how you like.
Anyway, back to the recipe.  It turned out to be just the right, light (no pun intended) thing for a lunch on a very hot day.  M and I filled them with cabbage, alfalfa, and spinach along with the peppers and beans, and were very satisfied with them.  The only issue I had, and M had trouble with this too but is doesn't bug her as much, was that stuff falls out, and the whole wrap comes undone.  That is the one thing I can't stand about eating wraps.  I ended up eating mine with half of it lying on the plate with my fork holding it closed.  It looked odd, and probably was very bad manners, but there you have it.  Yum!


White Bean, Roasted Red Pepper, and Spinach Wrap
Serves 6.

Adapted from Cheap, Healthy, Good

1 ½ cups white beans
2 roasted red bell peppers, chopped
1-2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 tablespoon raspberry vinegar
1 large clove garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon salt
Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
6 wraps
Baby spinach, cabbage, and/or alfalfa sprouts

1) Whisk together lemon juice, vinegar, garlic, salt, and pepper in a bowl. Add beans and peppers, and let marinade.
2) When ready to serve, divide among wraps, add spinach, cabbage, alfalfa, and whatever you want.
3) Wrap.

No comments:

Post a Comment