27.7.10

A Second Round of Tso

When I last went to the Asian Market with M, decided the time was ripe to get some dried bean curd skin, what The Vegan Ronin says will make the best Tso's Tofu in the whole world.  I figured there was nothing to lose, and the picture was so pretty on her blog!  And, since last night I found myself lacking in other things to make, I decided to give it a go.  I took the Vegan Ronin's recipe and modified it a bit to cut back on oil and make it a propper thing to serve over rice as a meal, and traveled down to the kitchen.  It was surprisingly easy to make, and took me just over 30 minutes.  The bean curd skin sure was funny, though.  But, OH MY GOSH, it turned out so good.   I loved the sauce, and it got all nice and thick.  M said it tasted kind of like sweet and sour sauce, and I thought it was up to par with some of the best Asian restaurants that I have visited.  Everything went together just beautifully, and both M and I fell over because it was so outstanding. (We were sitting in chairs, but you get what I mean.)

So, yes,  I highly recommend giving this quick one a whirl, and you won't be disappointed.

General Tso’s Tofu

Serves 4

Inspired by The Vegan Ronin

1/2 package dried bean curd skin (75 grams) (the ones in knots)
1 tsp oil
3 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tbsp agave nectar
2 tablespoons mirin
1 1/2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
1 tablespoon chili paste
1 1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
1 ½ large carrots
2 cups broccoli
1 red bell pepper
2 baby bok choy
1 large onion
Instructions:

1. Soak bean curd in water for 10-15 minutes, until soft.
2. Mix soy sauce through corn starch together.
3. Fry bean curd in oil for 10 minutes, until browned. Remove from heat
4. Saute veggies, add tofu, and heat through. Serve over steamed brown rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment