14.7.10

Dan Dan Noodles


I have never heard of Dan Dan Noodles- until now, obviously.  I think I just liked the name- that's why I decided to make these.  Plus I had some leftover noodles to use.  Not to mention, I was very excited about using the black mushrooms that I had picked up a while back at a Super H Mart (same place I got the 5 spice powder).  And Target was still having their lovely sale on the Morning Star crumbles; all lights were green!  M loves cashews, too, and I knew that she would enjoy this noodle dish so much. 

I also made a simple chickpea, cabbage, and pasta soup yesterday, mainly to use up the beans.  It turned out alright, but nothing spectacular.  I have posted a picture anyhoo, just because I love my camera.
I guess I was kind of on a pasta run yesterday- pasta in my soup, Dan Dan noodles, and I made the Vegetarian Hot Pot again to go with it because that would use up the rest of the noodles.  But I certianly didn't mind one bit!

A little about Dan Dan noodles: Appearently they are noodles in a spicy sauce with a few veggies and pork.  They are Chinese Sichuan cuisine... but whatever, they taste good!  I really have no clue how authentic this recipe is, but I'd call it tasty.

Dan Dan Noodles




Adapted from Vegan-Food.net

4 servings

Ingredients

• 3.5 oz medium rice noodles
• 3 tbsp soy sauce
• 1 tbsp light miso
• 1/2 tbsp chili garlic paste
• 1/2 tbsp cornstarch
• 2 tbsp water
• 2 tbsp veggie broth
• 1 small onion, chopped
• 4 dried Chinese black mushrooms, soaked in hot water for 20 minutes and chopped large
• 2 cloves garlic, minced
• 1/2 cup vegetarian hamburger crumbles
• 3 T cashews
• Chopped green onions, for garnish

Preparation

1. Boil the noodles in a large pot of water for 2-3 minutes, remove from heat, and allow to sit for 45 minutes to 1 hour+, until they stop expanding and are soft.
2. Mix together the soy sauce through the water in a small cup, and set aside.
3. Heat a wok coated with nonstick spray over high heat. Saute the onion, mushrooms and garlic in the broth until the onions soften. Add the crumbles and sauce, and heat through. Add the noodles, and continue cooking until heated through (again).
4. Remove from heat and add cashews and green onions for garnish.

No comments:

Post a Comment