23.7.10

Soba Noodle Love

What's weird is, I don't like American pasta.  But I am obsessed with Asian noodles; I think they are one of the most marvelous things a person can eat.  I have been really wanting to try soba noodles for quite some time now, but have never gotten around to doing so.  Anyway, as I was browsing around on 101 Vegetarian Cookbooks, I saw a soba noodle recipe called Otsu.  It looked amazing, and I knew this would be the time I was making soba.  So, there's not much else to say.  I modified the recipe slightly, adding more veggies because that's what I love to eat.  And, poof!  Today I finally made the noodle salad.  It tastes so light and fresh, and leaves you satisfied.  I bet it would taste good at any tempurature, although M and I had it at room-temp. 

Oh, funny thing happened when I dumped the noodles into the pot.  The noodles came wrapped in little bundles with strips of paper.  Appearently, I dropped one of the pieces of paper in the water with the noodles to cook.  When I went to drain them, I saw that there was an intruder in the noodles... it scared me, as it looked like a bug or something.  But it was just the wrapper.

Otsu


Adapted from 101 Vegetarian Cookbooks

6 servings

• Grated zest of 1 lemon
• 1 tbsp grated ginger
• 1/2 tablespoon agave nectar
• 1 pinch cayenne pepper
• 3/4 teaspoon fine-grain sea salt
• 1 tablespoon lemon juice
• 1/4 cup rice vinegar
• 1/4 cup soy sauce

• 6 ounces dried soba noodles, cooked and rinsed under cold water
• 12 ounces extra-firm tofu, pressed and chopped
• 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
• 3-4 green onions, chopped into ½ inch pieces
• 1 carrot, cut into strips
• 2 cups cabbage, shredded
• 3 pieces Chinese broccoli, stems and leaves separated (about 1 cup stems and 6 cups leaves), stems cut into thin strips
• Cilantro sprigs, for garnish
• 1/2 tbsp toasted white sesame seeds
• 1/2 tbsp toasted black sesame seeds

Make the dressing by combining the zest, ginger, agave nectar, cayenne, salt, lemon juice, vinegar, and soy sauce in a bowl.
Spray one side of the tofu with nonstick spray, and cook in a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat for about 10 minutes, until the pieces are slightly browned and firmer. In a large mixing bowl, combine the soba, cilantro, green onions, carrot, cabbage, broccoli, and dressing. Toss until well combined. Add the tofu and sesame seeds and toss again gently. Garnish with cilantro.

No comments:

Post a Comment