21.7.10

Saag Tofu and Baked Spring Rolls

Tonight I did something that I have never done before: I made dinner at one of my friend's houses for her family.  It was interesting, to say the least!  Three hours striaght of working in the kitchen... which was alright, but I got just a bit tired, as I know my friend did too!  She actually abandoned me several times, but she doesn't have a passion for cooking like me, so I guess that's ok.
Anyway, the food turned out to be amazing!  We made Easy Baked Spring Rolls from Fat Free Vegan's blog, only we used purple in place of napa cabbage out of personal preference.  They came to the exactly right crispyness, the filling was just perfect, and my friend's little sis' even enjoyed them, and she's rather picky.  Quite tasty, and easy, like the recipe says.  And I have found that they only need to be baked once for about 10 minutes, and not flipped, especially if you don't get the rolls soaking wet.  One thing to note though- the rolls might be really stubborn, and stik together.  All I can say is good luck.
We also created an adaptation of Saag Tofu from Eating Well.  Personally, I absolutely  L-O-V-E this dish, but it really seems that some do and some don't.  But I have yet to see a person who won't eat it, and you could always reduce the amout of onions, because there are quite a few. 
I though the Saag turned out quite photogenic, but not so much for the Spring Rolls.  I think I could have done a better job with them, but... taste matter more right?

One more thing to add about the Saag.  The original recipe calls for spinach as the only green veggie, but in this recipe I added cabbage and bok choy.  I have also used swiss chard, and you could get away with pretty much any similar leafy green.

Saag Tofu

Serves 4

Ingredients
• 1 teaspoon canola oil
• 1 12 ounces firm tofu, pressed and cut into ½ inch cubes
• 6 oz fat free vanilla yogurt
• 1 1/2 teaspoons curry powder
• 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
• 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
• 1 large onion, sliced 1/4 inch thick
• 2 cloves garlic, crushed
• 1 teaspoon grated ginger
• 2 ½ cups red cabbage
• 1/2 pound spinach, washed and de-stemmed
• 3 baby bok choy

Preparation
1. Heat oil in a large nonstick wok over high heat. Fry tofu for about 15 minutes, stirring often, until nicely browned. Set aside.
2. Meanwhile, mix together the yogurt, curry, mustard, and cumin.
3. Saute onion, garlic, ginger until the onion begins to get translucent, 4 to 6 minutes. Add cabbage, continue cooking until onions are almost done to your liking. Add in the spinach, tofu and bok choy, and cook until the spinach is wilted and all veggies are tender and
4. Remove from heat and stir in the yogurt.

No comments:

Post a Comment