7.7.10

Lions!.. And Cabbage!

After quite a bit of trauma in the kitchen, M and I finally ended up with Lion's Head Cabbage Salad for dinner tonight.  And BOY was it totally amazing!! 
Actually, I got the idea from a trip to my local Target, where they had MorningStar hamburger crumbles on sale.  I decided to get some, since they are quite tastey.  And then the idea for lion's head popped in my head (no pun intended), and I began to do some research.  Just my luck, too, that I happened to have some leftover cabbage and bok choy that needed to be used up!  Anyway, I ended up creating this recipe.  The sauce for the bok choy and cabbage is from FatFreeVegan's Vegetarian Chicken with Simple Five Spice Sauce, since I didn't use that for dipping the chicken in.  I actually have no clue what Lion's Head is supposed to taste like, but this salad sure fit the bill for M and I tonight!

Lion’s Head and Cabbage Salad




4 servings, 176 calories each

Ingredients

Lion’s Heads

• 12 oz burger crumbles
• ½ cup chopped scallions
• ½ cup finely chopped carrot
• 2 tbsp soy sauce
• 3 cloves garlic
• 2 tbsp cornstarch
• 2 tbsp soy sauce
Sauce (from Fat Free Vegan’s Vegetarian Chicken with Simple Five Spice Sauce)

• 1/2 cup vegetable broth
• 1 tablespoon soy sauce
• 1/8 teaspoon Chinese five-spice powder
• 1/2 teaspoon sugar
• 1/2 teaspoon rice wine vinegar
• 1 teaspoon cornstarch
Salad

• A little soy sauce and broth
• 3 cups cabbage, shredded
• 2 cups bok choy, chopped
• Green onions, for garnish

Preparation

1. Preheat the oven to 375.
2. Mix the burger crumbles through the soy sauce together in a large bowl, adding more corn starch as needed to hold it together. Divide into four balls.
3. Place the balls on a baking sheet coated with nonstick spray, and bake for 10-15 minutes, until slightly browned and collapsed.
4. Combine sauce ingredients in a bowl, and set aside.
5. Briefly sauté the cabbage and bok choy in soy sauce and broth, until just tender.
6. Combine the sauce, cabbage, and bok choy, divide among 4 plates, and top with one lion’s head. Garnish with green onions.

No comments:

Post a Comment