25.7.10

Two New Toys (aka foods)

As I was mulling over what to make in my next round of cooking, I stumbled upon a recipe authored by Fat Free Vegan called Pink Bean, Quinoa, and Spinach Soup.  A few days before, I had come home from a grocery trip with M toting along two new ingredients: raspberry vinegar, which I used in this salad and dressing, and pink beans.  Just my luck finding this soup recipe, because I had also been wanting a quinoa dish.  Two birds with one stone.
The beans that I bought were kind of weird, though, because, after only a day of soaking they started sprouting... oh well.  They still tasted fine, although, as M pointed out as we were happily eating our soup, most beans taste pretty similar.  Pink beans, I was happy to see, are very high in protein and fiber.  Yay!
One thing I really love about this soup is the addition of cinnamon and nutmeg, which really give it a sweet flavour, and make it smell excellent.  It really makes a lot, and is quite thick, but not too much so for a summer's day.

I also found that we were out of salad dressing, so I created a new one.  I won't post the recipe, seeing as I really have no clue of how much of everything I used, but it consisted of about a cup of mayo, 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar, a splash of balsamic vinegar, italian seasonings, and a whole bunch of basil.  It turned out quite good, and M declared it a winner, so I was pleased.  Although it is not the prettiest dressing around.

Pink Bean, Quinoa, and Spinach Soup

 
6 servings

Adapted from Fat Free Vegan

1 large onion, finely chopped
1 carrot, diced
2 cloves garlic, pressed
6 cups water
2 vegetable bouillon cubes
14 oz crushed tomatoes
2 teaspoons curry powder
Pinch of cinnamon
Pinch of ground nutmeg
1/2 cup quinoa, cooked for 15-20 minutes in 1 cup water
½ cup dried pink beans, soaked and cooked
1 bunch spinach, stemmed and washed
Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste

1. Heat a large soup kettle sprayed with nonstick spray over high. Saute the onion until tender, then add the carrot and garlic, and sauté for 2-3 more minutes.
2. Add water, bouillon cubes, tomatoes, beans, and spices. Bring to a boil, then cover and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes.
3. Add the spinach and quinoa and cover. Cook until the spinach is wilted, stirring. Adjust seasonings to taste, and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment