23.7.10

A Fantabulous and Versitile Tofu Scramble

I was slightly afraid of trying this dish because of my last disasterous attempt to turn tofu into eggs.  That time, I had tried to make an omlette with silken tofu, and, appearently M and I really don't like silken tofu.  But, I decided to give it one more go, this time using a modified version of Vegan Dad's Basic Scrambled Tofu.  The reviews said it was fairly kid friendly, and it sounded good enough.  I was not disappointed this time- absolutely marvelous, and very healthy and filling!  What surprised me, though, was how similar the tofu looked to eggs.... kind of scary.  The taste was not really incredibly like eggs, but that's why I made tofu and not eggs.  Anyway, I'm sure you probably have a tofu scramble recipe already, but, if not, this one is certainly worth the little effort it takes to whip up.

In this version, I included snow peas, Chinese broccoli, and shiitake mushrooms.  I am sure that almost every veggie would work great in this recipe, so chuck everything imaginable in there!

Basic Scrambled Tofu

Ingredients
• 12 oz package firm tofu, pressed and crumbled
• 1 tsp onion powder
• 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
• 1/2 tsp tumeric
• 1/4 tsp salt
• Pepper, to taste
• Tabasco sauce, to taste
1. Heat a non-stick frying pan over high heat. Cook tofu for 3-4 minutes, until tofu begins releasing its water.
2. Add the rest of the ingredients along with any longer cooking veggies. Cook for about 10 minutes, stirring. Add the rest of your veggies when you deem it the right time. If things begin to stick, add a little water. Once the 10 minutes are up and all water is gone, it’s done.

No comments:

Post a Comment