19.8.10

Really Over-Stuffed Tofu

Last night I decided to give Fat Free Vegan's Stuffed Tofu recipe a go.  Although I decided to add a few more veggies, I didn't think that that would really change all that much.  Appearently it did.  Although making the tofu pockets was not hard in itself, there was WAY too much filling to fit inside of them.  It turned out to be some sort of casserole. 
I think that this is a great recipe- slightly bland, but a good starting point.  Thus, I have edited it to where I think this this dish would turn out great, and with a lot less trouble than M and I went through.  My experience with this dish was not really that great- the rice seemed to not want to cook, so we just served that on the side.  Also, both M and I agree that a separate gravy, like Fat Free Vegan calls for, is not really necessary for this.  Also, I solved the blandness problem by adding a bit more soy sauce to my serving, along with a bit of black bean sauce. 
Like I said, this is a great recipe- not really like anything that I have made before.  But I really have no clue how Susan made her's work out to be so perfect.  Ah.  The mysteries of a professional chef...  Honestly, I think some people can work miracels. 
But anyway, here is my version of Tofu and Veggie Casserole- not nearly as fancy as what Susan came up with, but tasty nonetheless.  And much less time consuming, to boot.
One last thing- I bet if you wanted to add nuts, almond slivers or walnuts would taste fantastic!

Tofu and Veggie Casserole


Inspired by Fat Free Vegan

Serves 4 as a main dish

1 pound extra firm tofu, pressed


1 large onion, chopped
1 red bell pepper, chopped
2 carrots, coined
2 small ribs celery, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
6 ounces shiitake mushrooms, chopped
1 1/2 tsp. thyme
1/2 tsp. ground sage
3/4 tsp. fresh rosemary, chopped
1/8 tsp. black pepper
1 cup long-grain brown rice, cooked
¼ cup fresh basil, chopped
3 tbsp soy sauce
3 tbsp black bean sauce

1 small onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, crushed
½ can straw mushrooms
1 tbsp flour
1 cup vegetable broth
3 tbsp. soy sauce
2 cloves minced garlic
1 tsp ground sage
1 3/4 tsp. thyme
1/8 tsp. Liquid Smoke
salt and pepper, to taste
Cut the tofu into thin, large rectangles.
Heat a large frying pan coated with nonstick spray over medium high heat. Saute the onions and carrots for 2 minutes, then add the celery, garlic, and shiitakes. Continue cooking until about half way done, then add the bell pepper. When all veggies are tender, remove from heat. Mix in the thyme, sage, rosemary, pepper, basil, soy sauce, and black bean sauce. Move to a separate bowl.
Reheat the frying pan, and add the small onion and garlic. Saute until onion is tender, and then add the remaining ingredients- straw mushrooms through salt and pepper.
Preheat the oven to convection 350. Spray a large casserole dish with nonstick spray, and then add half of the bell pepper mixture. Top that with half of the tofu slices, and then top that with all the rice. Put on the remaining tofu, then bell pepper mixture, and top it all off with the straw mushroom dressing. Bake for about 20 minutes, until heated through.

No comments:

Post a Comment