3.1.11

Coconut Milk - Not All THAT Bad

I have always been shy of using coconut milk because it is so high in fat.  But then I saw it in one of my new healthy cookbooks, and realized that in small quantites, especially the light varieties, it's not all that bad, really.  So I decided to tackle this pretty simple dish with coconut milk.  The only glitch I ran into was adding the milk.  When I poured  the milk straight from the can, the milk was separated.  I ended up getting all the cream in the stir fry, and then all that was left over was a thin, slightly opaque water.  So I spent some time scooping what I could out of the wok, and it seemed to still be ok.  Actually, this dish was way more than ok.  It was one of the best things that I have ever tasted.  I was in love with this dish from my very first bite.  I really have to start to use coconut more, because it is amazingly good.  The funny  thing was that I thought the leftovers were even better.  Probably because the flavours had had time to mix.  Whatever.  It was still amazing, and I could totally live of of this stir fry.

Noodles and Veggies in Coconut Sauce
Serves 6
Adapted from Chinese and Thai 400
1 tbsp, or to taste, masaman curry paste
1 onion, thickly sliced
1 red bell pepper, sliced
3 cups broccoli
2 large carrots, coined
½ 14 oz can reduced fat coconut milk
A couple drops coconut extract
½ cup Silk
½ cup water
1 tbsp vegetarian chicken bullion
2 servings frozen egg noodles
1 tbsp mushroom flavoured soy sauce
2 tbsp soy sauce
3 vegetarian hot dogs, chopped
1 cup cilantro leaves, chopped
1 small red chili, for garnish (opt)

Heat a wok over medium heat. Add the curry paste and onion and cook for 5-10 minutes, until the onion has slightly softened. Add the bell pepper through carrots. Reduce heat and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes. Bring the heat to medium, and add the broccoli florets, coconut milk, coconut extract, silk, broth, and noodles. Lower the heat and simmer for 20 minutes. Add the rest of the ingredients, stir and heat through, and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment