21.1.11

A Monster Batch of Soup

 I really cannot believe how fast paced my life has become in these past few days.  It seems like I barely have any time for blogging any more, and I am getting rather concerned that I will just be forced to stop.  But for now, I really am trying my best to stay caught up with blogging and life in general.  Which is rather impossible, but there you have it. 
As for this soup, well... it made so much that I had to use two kettles, and then still all of the ingredients would not fit.  But the funny thing is that the soup was gone in about 5 days, because I have been eating two bowls a day almost.  That's how good it is.  I mean, this soup is really, really thick, and so filling.  And it has setian, which I seem to be getting more and more addicted to.  And this soup is rather easy to make too, for the large amount of leftovers it produces.  I just needed a bigger kettle...

Setian, Bean, and Cabbage Stew


Adapted from Fat Free Vegan
Serves an army, 12-ish

1 large onion, chopped
2 portobellos, chopped
2 to 3 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 head cabbage, chopped
4 carrots, slice
4 medium Yukon gold potatoes, chopped
1/3 cup pearl barley
1 bay leaf
1 teaspoon thyme
2 tsp caraway seeds
1 tbsp dried rosemary
Freshly ground pepper, to taste
6 cups water plus vegetarian chicken bouillon to match
3 cups cooked white beans
14.5 oz can diced tomatoes
1 tablespoon chopped parsley
2 tbsp corn starch mixed with 2 tbsp cold water
4 cups vegetarian ham, chopped
salt to taste

Heat a Dutch oven over medium high heat. Add the onion with a bit of water, and sauté for a minute. Add the carrots and garlic, sauté for another 2 minutes, and then add the cabbage and portobellos. Sauté for 5 minutes, until tender. Add the potatoes, barley, seasonings, broth and bullion, and tomatoes. Bring to a boil and simmer for ½ hour, until the potatoes are tender. Add the remaining ingredients and simmer for 10 more minutes. Serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment