14.1.11

Coconut Tofu Stir Fry and Snow

It actually snowed.  It actually snowed!  That never happens.  M and I were, as usual, pretty skeptical when the weather man said  that there was going to be snow because he is usually wrong, but it actually did snow for once.  And we got several inches too, from the looks of it.  All the little kids went out to play in it, but I just stayed inside for the better part of the day, and M and I  ran our usual errands.  What was really funny was that I needed apples, and there hadn't been any good ones in the stores that I had went in over the weekend, so M and I went on a search for my essential breakfast food.  We ended up at Whole Foods, and I saw a pile of nice-looking apples laying in a display outside the front door.  I was sure that there would be another display of them inside the store, but oooh nooo.  So I ended up digging through the apples in the freezing cold, with M shivering beside me.  But it was all worth it, because they did taste really good.
This stir fry is another cold weather dish, and I was excited that it had coconut milk in it, which seems to be M and mine's favorite ingredient of late.  This recipe is quite good.  The only thing I would do differently next time would be to add a bit of corn starch to the sauce because it was not very clingy to the veggies.  Other than that, I loved it, and M agreed.  The only thing was that we were kind of short on tofu, so we ended up adding that to our individual servings.  I think a stir fry deprived of proteins is really depressing.  For the leftovers, we used part of a giant log of "ham" chopped up, which I also really liked.  Like most stir frys, this one is pretty easy to make, after the washing is done.  When I was mixing up the sauce, it looked soo good, too.  I'm just waiting to try it with corn starch, because that would be even better.

Tofu Stir Fry with Peanuts and Coconut Sauce

Serves 4-5
12 oz fingerling potatoes, cut in half
1 lb button mushrooms, quartered
3-4 cups green cabbage, shredded
2 lbs fried tofu
1 medium onion, sliced
3 cups broccoli florets
3 large carrots, cut on the diagonal
2 cloves garlic
1 red bell pepper, chopped
¼ cup soy sauce
2/3 cup light coconut milk
1 tbsp honey or agave nectar
1 tbsp chili garlic paste
3 tbsp hoisin sauce
1 tbsp corn starch
Peanuts, to serve

Bring a large pot of water to boil, and cook the potatoes until tender but firm, about 8-9 minutes. Drain and set aside.
Meanwhile, mix together the soy sauce through coconut milk in a bowl. Set aside.
Heat a wok over high heat with a bit of water. Add the onion and carrots and sauté for 2 minutes, and then add the cabbage and bell pepper. Sauté for two to three more minutes, and then add the mushrooms and broccoli. When they are a few minutes away from being tender, about 4 minutes, add the bok choy, tofu, and sauce. Cook for 2 more minutes and then add the potatoes. Cook until heated through, and serve over rice topped with a generous amount of peanuts.




No comments:

Post a Comment