11.9.10

Bang Bang Tofu Wraps!

This recipe totally caught my eye.  I love some of the names that this site comes up with- they crack me up.  Seriously... they're really quite entertaining.  But so far this site has produced some very delictible results- these wraps being among them. 
The original recipe called for these to be wrapped in lettuce leaves, but, as I was quite cold today, I decided to serve the mixture inside spring roll wrappers.  Obviously, they fell apart and that was quite... frustrating, I guess you could say.  But the taste was totally worth it.  I think I have been missing tofu for quite a while now, and the marinade was extra good.  Cilantro is such a fickle thing- it can either make or break a dish.  These wraps veer towards the spicier end of the spectrum, and I really like the combination of veggies. 
These wraps are nice and light, and yet satisfying and full of flavour.  Ok, now that I feel like an ad, I really think you ought to try these.
*I had them for lunch today, and they tasted even better cold.  I L-O-V-E  the texture, and since I was able to not get any juices on the spring wrapper, the whole thing did not fall apart.  They were amazing!

Bang Bang Tofu Wraps


Adapted from Vegan-Food

Serves 4

• ¼ cup soy sauce
• 1 teaspoon Chinese five-spice powder
• 1 1/2 tablespoons agave nectar
• 3 tablespoons mirin
• 5 centimeter piece fresh ginger, grated
• Chili sauce, to taste
• 12 oz tofu, pressed and chopped into 1 inch strips
• 2 large carrots, cut into ½ inch matchsticks
• 1 bell pepper, cut into ½ inch matchsticks
• 1 7 oz can bamboo shoots
• 2 cups bean sprouts
• ¼ cup cilantro, choppped
• Large lettuce leaves, spring roll wrappers, or some other kind of wrap

Mix together the soy sauce through chili. Marinade the tofu in that for half an hour, atleast.
Heat a wok over medium high heat. Add a few tablespoons of water, and add the carrots. After 2 minutes add the peppers, and then, when they look almost done, add the bean sprouts and cilantro. Heat through, add tofu, bamboo, and marinade, and heat through again. Remove from heat, and put in the wraps.

No comments:

Post a Comment