26.9.10

Sweet Potato Wrap

So, before I said wraps annoy me because they fall apart.  Not this one!  The mashed sweet potaotes make a nice glue for the wrap... and a tasty one, too.  I think I am on a sweet potato binge or something, because they seem to keep appearing in recipes.  But I guess that's good.  Sure!

The original recipe from Vegan Dad that I based these on had kale in it.  In fact, that was one of the main ingredients.  However, I thought the kale was the worst part- funny, too, because that was the whole reason that I chose to make this dish.  It was just a bit too tough for my tastes.  But, sans kale, these are really tasty, and quite filling.  I suppose you could call  these Mexican.  Whatever.  They're good, and that's all that really matters.  I would recommend a wrap that's not too strong or thick, because it will overpower the mild flavour, and you wouldn't want that.  If you are on a sweet potato binge like me, these will certainly satisfy cravings.  In fact, I think I will not make another recipe with sweet potatoes for quite a while...

Sweet Potato Wraps

Makes 6-8 wraps

Adapted from Vegan Dad

1 large sweet potato, peeled and diced

1 large Vidalia onion, diced
1 bell pepper, chopped
2 cloves garlic, pressed
1 small jalapeno pepper, seeded and diced
1 1/2 cups cooked white beans
1/4 cup crushed tomatoes
1 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp cinnamon
salt and pepper to taste
3 cups spinach leaves, stems removed, and torn
6-8 wraps

1. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add the chopped potato and cook until tender, about 13 minutes. Drain and roughly mash.

2. In a large frying pan (or the kettle that you cooked the potatoes in- that’s what I did), heat a bit of water, and saute the potatoes for 5-6 minutes, until slightly tender. Add pepper and cook for another 5 mins.

3. Add garlic and jalapeno and saute for two more minutes. Add and mix well. Add tomatoes and spices. Mix and heat through.

4. Add the potatoes and spinach, and stir until spinach has wilted. Add more tomatoes if mixture is too dry.

5. Serve in a wrap!

1 comment:

  1. Sweet potatoes are great, healthy too. I never thought to use them in a wrap but that's a great idea. It looks nice and filling. :-)

    ReplyDelete