6.9.10

Creamy Indian Potato Salad

Potatoes are certainly one of the most amazing foods that are available to chefs.  As I was eating this salad for lunch, I remarked to M that there must be a million different potato salads.  She agreed.  I mean, there's your traditional salad, there's grilled, there's balsamic, and I could go on and on about the different types.  This is just another twist on potato salads- adapted from one of Vegan Dad's most recent recipes called Indian Potato Salad
It was kind of funny when I saw his post.  I knew I just had to make it, and I am most certainly glad I did.  It really made a lot, too!  Good thing, because life is getting really hectic.  Not to mention that it tastes awesome. 
I made some substitutions because of what I had on hand... I nearly cried, though, when I saw that there was not a single onion in the whole house!  Really, what a crime to not have any onions!  But the salad, like I said, was great anyway.  I think my favourite part was the sweet potatoes, because I still seem to have a strange soft spot for them.  This dish is slightly spicy, and packed with flavour.  I had it at room temperature today, but I think it would be great hot or cold, too.
Oh, and that's the rest of my lunch in the picture.  A pear, and a nectarine.  I also had some of Target's yogurt.  I highly recommend that brand... it's really good!

Indian Potato Salad

Serves 6-8

Adapted from Vegan Dad


5 small red potatoes, chopped
2 sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped
2 cups cauliflower
2 cloves garlic, minced
½ tbsp yellow curry paste
½ large green chile, seeded and minced
3/4 tsp ground yellow mustard
1/2 tsp tumeric
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp ground sage
1/2 cup fat free mayo
1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
salt pepper to taste

1. Boil each type of potatoes separately. The red ones took about 14 minutes, and the sweets took about 7 to get them to the firmness that I wanted. Drain and set aside.
2. Heat a frying pan over medium high heat. Add cauliflower and saute for a few minutes. Add garlic, and chile, and cook until cauliflower is tender.
3. In a large bowl, mix together remaining ingredients. Add the potatoes and veggies, and stir to coat. Serve at desired temperature.

No comments:

Post a Comment