13.3.11

Another Soup... With Molasses

So here’s yet another soup. Pretty much the same as another soup that I made a few weeks ago, except this one has quite a bit of molasses. Which M thinks is really weird, but I am totally and completely in love with molasses, and it’s really a key ingredient that makes certain dishes tastes so much better. I had spotted this recipe on AllRecipies a month or so ago, and put it in my recipe box. And last week I couldn’t really find a soup recipe, so I decided to go poking around in my archives, and stumbled across this one. So I added a few more veggies, and ended up with yet another amazing soup. So there.

All Recipes “Ham” and Bean Soup

Adapted from All Recipes.com

Serves 8-10

1 large onion, chopped
1 cup carrots, coined
4 large cloves garlic, pressed
1 tbsp dried thyme leaves
2 tsp mustard powder
1 tbsp chili powder
1 tbsp paprika
5 cups water plus vegetarian beef/chicken bullion
1/3 cup chopped fresh parsley
2 bay leaves
28 oz can crushed tomatoes or tomato sauce
3-4 yukon gold potatoes, chopped
1/2 cup ketchup
3 tablespoons molasses
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 cup frozen peas
2 tbsp corn starch mixed with 2 tbsp water
3 cups vegetarian ham, chunked
1 cup dry pinto beans, cooked
1 1/2 cup pasta, cooked (I used shells which seemed to work. Not spaghetti!
Salt and pepper, to taste

Heat a Dutch oven over medium high heat, and add the carrot and onion with a bit of water. After 2 minutes add in the garlic, and cook until tender, about 5 minutes. Add in remaining ingredients through peas, bring to a boil, and simmer for 30 minutes, covered. Add in the remaining ingredients except pasta, and heat through. Add in the pasta, and then mix well. Serve with salt and pepper to taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment