17.3.11

Cranberry Risotto

As I was putting this together, I had a fear of it being bland, because, as I scanned the ingredients, there were no spices whatsoever.  I started to pull out different spices until they looked sufficient- actually, the whole small counter space was covered with herbs... but I think this risotto was my best one yet- which isn't saying much because I have only made three.  But still- the cranberries added a nice sweetness, and the flecks of onion were delicious.  Not to mention all the herbs that went in.  Another plus was that it needed about 15 minutes of prep work, and it was done.


Baked Cranberry Risotto


Adapted from Oceanspray.com

Serves 6-8

4 cloves garlic, pressed
1 onion, diced
1 red bell pepper, diced
3/4 cup risotto rice
2 cups water, plus vegetarian chicken bullion
Scant 1 tbsp thyme
Scant 1 tbsp oregano
3/4 cup dried cranberries
Parmesan cheese, grated

Preheat the oven to 425.
 In a deep frying pan or Dutch oven, heat a bit of water, and add the onions. Sauté for 2 minutes and add in the garlic.  Sauté for 2 more minutes and add the bell pepper, and sauté until almost tender, about 5 minutes. Add the remaining ingredients except the cheese and stir well. Pour into a casserole dish and cook for 30 minutes. When the liquid is gone, take out of the oven and top with a few tbsp of parmesan cheese. Serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment