17.3.11

Cheesey Garlicy Odd-Yet-Good Israeli Couscous

This has got to be on the top ten list of odd and  insanely good combinations of ingredients.  I have never eaten Israeli couscous before, and was a little weirded out at first.  Then, as I ate more and more, the dish started to taste better and better.  Once all the leftovers were gone, I was very determined to make this quick, protein packed dish again soon.  It would be excellent for lunches, too.  M absolutely loved the raisins; I wasn't that big on them, but, then again, I have never really liked raisins all that much.  Which just goes to show how much I loved this dish, because normally I would never even condiser touching something with raisins in it.  Yum!
Quick, Jazzy Israeli Couscous
Adapted from Happy Healthy Life

Serves 5

2/3 cups Israeli couscous
1 1/4 cups water
1/2 cup shredded spicy cheddar cheese
1/4 cup mirin
1/2 tbsp garlic powder
2 tbsp raisins
1 cup frozen green peas
3/4 cups cooked white beans
Salt and pepper, to taste
1 1/2 tbsp fat free mayo

Bring the water to a boil in a kettle with the couscous.  Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 9 minutes.  Remove from heat, and let sit for 5 more minutes.  Then, return to very low heat and add in the remaining ingredients, and heat through.  Serve.

1 comment:

  1. This looks amazingly good! I've been a veggie for... 80 days now and I have been looking for GREAT recipes that are easy, quick, and CHEESY! I am your newest follower! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete