13.3.11

Easy Hummus Wraps plus Falafel- Chickpea Madness!

I am so excited about this falafel. I had had falafel in a restaurant for the first time a bit over a year ago, and ever since it’s been on my list. So I finally decided to make it this week, and it turned out really amazingly fabulous. I was quite surprised at how good it tasted. And they are fun to eat, too. I like them plain, or I suppose any sort of sauce would go well with them. Plus they pack well in a lunch, hot or cold. I was also pleased to have a use for my immersion blender…
These wraps put made good use of my immersion blender, too.  I love hummus so much, but never really have an excuse to make it.  So, when I stumbled on this recipe it seemed to fit the bill perfectly.  They are so easy to make, very portable, and filling.  Not to mention they taste absolutely fabulous.

Baked Falafel

Makes about 25

1 cup dried chickpeas, cooked
About ¼ cup water
1 small onion, roughly chopped
5 cloves garlic, pressed
½ cup cilantro, chopped
½ cup parsley, chopped
1 tsp baking powder
6 tbsp flour
Salt and pepper, to taste
2 tsp ground cumin
Chili sauce, to taste

In a bowl, blend the chickpeas with an immersion blender until they form a rough paste, adding water as needed. Add in the remaining ingredients, and then continue to blend until everything is well blended and smooth. Refrigerate for at least 3 hours.
Preheat the oven to 450. Shape the dough into small balls, using just under 2 tbsp dough per ball. Put on a baking sheet, and flatten slightly to form a cake. Bake for 25 minutes, until the outside is lightly browned and crispy, but the inside is still moist.  Serve hot or cold, perhaps with a dipping sauce.

Easy Hummus Wraps

Adapted from Happy Healthy Life

For each wrap:
Wraps
Hummus (I blend about 3/4 dried chickpeas, 1 tbsp olive oil, balsamic vinegar, lemon juice, rosemary, and water until they are smooth)
Carrot sticks
Alfalfa sprouts, spinach, or other poofy veggie
Opt: Vanilla yogurt

To assemble the wraps, spread a line of hummus down the middle of the wrap. 
Then put a line of carrots down the middle, followed by a pile of alfalfa or whatever.  Finally, add a line of yogurt, if using.  Wrap it up, and serve. 

No comments:

Post a Comment