20.11.10

Caraway, Cheese, and Broccoli Casserole

Ok, wow.  Talk about improving a recipe big time!  I had broccoli, and the soup, and a lemon, but that's about it.  Not even a piece of pepper to be seen.  But I am holding out for a pepper mill, so I can experience the wonders of fresh pepper... I just need to find a mill that I actually like.  And our lemon juicer was MIA, and I think it might have broken or something, so that is another thing that I will have to keep an eye out for.  I am getting so pumped up for Thanksgiving.  Although it will just be M and me, I think I have some pretty creative ideas for what to make.  We'll see just exactly ends up on our table, but I have a feeling that it will turn out a lot better than last year's meal.  That seemed to be a failure.
I did love this broccoli dish, though.  Like I said before, I had none of the spices on hand that the original called for, and so ended up spotting an unopened jar of caraway seeds that I had bought for a different recipe.  And so, I opened the jar, took one whiff of the seeds, and decided that they were going in the dish.  The seeds do have quite a strong flavour, but it jazzes up the dish to the point that both M and I declared it an easy favourite.

Cheese, Caraway Seeds and Broccoli Casserole

Adapted from Kalyn's Kitchen
(about 6 servings)

8 cups fresh broccoli flowerets
1 can fat free broccoli cheese soup
¼ cup milk
Juice of one small lemon
Pinch red pepper flakes (optional)
2-3 tsp caraway seeds
¼ cup-ish parmesan cheese for topping

Preheat oven to 375. Heat a wok coated with nonstick spray over medium heat with a bit of water. Sauté the broccoli for about 5-7 minutes, until it just starts to turn bright green.
Mix together the soup through caraway. Mix the sauted broccoli and soup mixture in a casserole dish. Bake, covered, for about 25 minutes, until it starts to bubble.
Top with parmesan and bake for 7-8 minutes more, until you are fed up whith waiting. Serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment