19.11.10

Slightly Sweet, Slighty Indian Stir Fry


Harry Potter 7 came out today in theaters.  I didn't go, but I know quite a few people that did, and it was supposed to be quite good.  Perhaps I will see it some day, but most likely not.  I don't get why people stay up unitl three in the morning to go see some movie, especially when there is school and work the next day.  Honestly, I think I would much rather sleep and cook.  I also heard that there were quite a few creative costumes running around the theaters, which I found rather funny.  One person tried to be the Hogwarts Express, and that was kind of a failure, appearently.
And so, in honnor of Harry, I made this stir fry.  Not really.  But I think it was just as good tasting, and probably better for you, than some of that stuff that the elves whip up for Hogwarts students.  The name pretty much says it all- a little sweet, mixed with subtle Indian flavours.  At first I thought it was rather bland, but as I ate more of it, I liked it exponentially more.  Especially the spinach.  I really need to eat more spinach.  I think it was one of the only veggies that I have loved since the day I was born... the only draw back is the amount of prep it takes.  But the ease of other ingredients in this stir fry negate that time.  I was pleasently surprised at how good this one tasted, and how easy all the chopping was.  And I still love those fingerling potatoes.  So cute, and they have such a nice pop.

Slightly Sweet, Slighty Indian Stir Fry

Inspired by Wok

Serves 4-6

1/3 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup mirin
1 tbsp Better Than Bullion Beef Flavouring
1 1/2 tsp each ground coriander and cumin
1/2 tsp curry powder
1 1/2 tbsp corn starch
1 heaping tsp garam masala
1/3-1/2 cup hoisin sauce
1 1/2 tbsp chili garlic sauce
1 large onion, sliced
2 carrots, coined
2 cups cauliflower florets
2 shallots, chopped finely
4 cloves garlic, pressed
1 bell pepper, chopped
3 cups green cabbage, shredded
1 package vegetarian mutton, defrosted and broken into bite-sized pieces
12 oz fingerling potatoes, large ones halves and boiled until tender (about 8 minutes)
1 bunch spinach, stemmed and washed

Mix together the soy sauce through garlic sauce in a bowl. 
Heat a wok over high heat with a bit of water.  Add the onion and carrots, and after two minutes add the cauliflower and shallots.  After a minute toss in the garlic, and then add the pepper and cabbage after anothe minute.  After two or three more minutes add the mutton, and let it heat up a bit.  Stir in the sauce and potatoes.  When that is heated through again, add the spinach and cook until wilted.  Serve over rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment