6.11.10

Tofu Tacos... and Tests


There was this thing at my school today where they had a whole bunch of restaurants selling food on campus, because it was some special week. I always bring my lunch, mostly because the cafeteria food is so gross and unhealthy. I could probably go ranting about it for quite a bit, but suffice it to say that one gets buckets of bread and carbs, and it’s rather difficult to rack up even one serving of veggies, let alone two. Plus most of it is loaded with oil and grease to boot. I had thought today would be a different story because professional restaurants came in, but the only vegetarian option that looked remotely healthy was Chipoltle veggie burritos. I went poking around on the internet for nutritional info, and was rather scared about what I might be consuming. And so, I decided to be cool and make my own burritos. Thus these tofu tacos, which would probably be good in a taco shell as well as a soft shell (which is my preference).

I think it takes all of five minutes to actually make these, plus whatever time you are going to spend on toppings. Which was good, because I had so many tests to study for… four out of seven classes had tests. That had to be one of the hardest days of my life. And the tacos turned out to be really, really good! They were rather salty, but the flavour was excellent, and they were just perfect. I suppose one could make large quantities of the baked tofu and freeze it. I might try that one day.

Tofu Tacos


Adapted from Vegan Dad

Serves 4

12 oz firm tofu, pressed, and cut into thin rectangles
3 tbsp Better Than Bullion Beef Flavouring
1 tbsp miso paste
1-6 tbsp warm water
Wraps
Sliced tomatoes
Alfalfa sprouts
Bell pepper
Sliced red onion
Shredded romaine lettuce
Mayo
Cheese

Preheat the oven to 350 convection bake.
In a casserole dish, lay the tofu in a single layer. Mix together the bullion and miso with a bit of warm water to get the right consistency. Coat the tofu. Bake for 35 minutes, until the sauce is bubbly and tofu is slightly firmer than when you took it out of the package.
Layer the wrap with tofu and whatever toppings you happen to have stashed away in your house.

No comments:

Post a Comment