6.11.10

Chop Suey


There's not really much to say tonight.  My testing extravaganza is over, and I did pretty well.  Except in English, but what can I say?...  And barely any homework tonight, which is really nice, to say the least.  So lots of time to cook!  I still can't wait for Thanksgiving, though, because I have such an awesome idea.  Which I really hopes to turn out alright...
I have realized that the ingredients list on my stir frys are getting more and more lengthy, but there're not that complex.  Half of the things are for the sauce, and I have all of them on hand.  It's just kind of intimidating, though.
I L-O-V-E the beef in this stir fry.  Seriously, it's amazing.  M isn't such a fan, so I have it all to myself, pretty much!  Yay!  Again, this is quite quick to pull off, and it's unusually colourful.  I don't really think it resembles chop suey very much, but it still tastes good, and that's what counts, right? 
I agree.
Chop Suey

Serves 4-6

Inspired by Wok

3 tbsp soy sauce
3 tbsp rice vinegar
1 tbsp corn starch
1 tbsp yellow bean sauce
1 tbsp chili garlic sauce
2 tbsp agave nectar
1 tbsp Better Than Bullion Beef Flavouring

1 onion, chopped
2 carrots, coined
.75 lb shiitake mushrooms, chopped
2-ish cups red cabbage, shredded
1 red bell pepper, chopped
.75 lb snow peas, trimmed
1 package vegetarian beef (about 3 cups), defrosted and cubed
2-3 baby bok choy, chopped
2-3 cups bean sprouts
Salt and pepper, to taste
Cashews, for topping

Mix together the soy sauce through bullion in a small bowl. Set aside.
Heat a large wok over high heat with a bit of water. Saute the onion and carrots, and after two minutes add the mushrooms. Continue sautéing for three more minutes, and then add the cabbage, bell pepper, and snow peas. After another two minutes or so stir in the beef. When the veggies warm up again add the bok choy, salt and pepper, and sauce. About 30 seconds before it is done cooking stir in the bean sprouts.
Serve over rice or whatever, and top with cashews.

No comments:

Post a Comment