19.11.10

A Many-Beaned Stew

When I first picked out this recipe, it had white beans.  I originally was going to use up the last of the huge bag that has been in my pantry for ages now, but the thought of finally trying 12 bean soup mix would not get out of my head.  And so, that's exactly what happened with this soup.  Or stew.  I don't really know what to classify this as.  A stoup?  Sure... That just doesn't sound very appetizing, does it.  And that was what was going through my head when the bean mix finished cooking.  It was essentially a grey blob.  But I decided to go foreward with the complete recipe, and am oh so glad that I did.  This is another great and really filling stew for cold days when you are in need of something to melt icicles off of your fingers.  I can highly recommend it with a plain baked potato and a salad for dinner. 
On a different note, I still hate Charles Dickens.  He goes off on way too many tangents.  Dickens needs to stick the the point of his stories and get his message across.  Serioulsy.  It's really annoying.  I don't know how many other Dickens books I will be reading after A Tale of Two Cities, but I hope that number is very small.
Oh, just a random tidbit about the soup.  Use the parmesan.  It really makes the soup something memorable and something that I would want again and again.  Without the parmesan, and good hot dogs, you are not going to have a very satisfactory soup.

Fake Sausage, Peppers, and 12 Bean Stew with Parmesan



Serves 8
Adapted from Kalyn's Kitchen

2 medium onions, chopped
1 red bell pepper, chopped
2 portobello mushrooms, chopped
2 carrots, coined
1 generous cup 12 bean soup mix
28 oz can petite dice tomatoes
1 tsp. coriander
1 tbsp fresh sage, chopped
2 tsp dried thyme
3 bay leaves
1 tbsp Better Than Bullion Beef Flavouring
1 vegetable bullion cube
3 vegetarian hot dogs, coined
Grated parmesan for topping

Cook the beans: Bring a pot of water to boil, and add the mix. Make sure the water is just enough to cover the beans. Simmer for 50 minutes, until tender.
Sauté the onions and carrots until the onion begins to turn transparent, about 4 minutes. Add the mushrooms and pepper, and sauté for 5-6 more minutes. Add the ingredients through the bullion cube, bring to a boil, and simmer for 30 minutes, covered. Add the hot dogs about 10 minutes before you are ready to eat.
Serve, topped with grated parmesan cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment