6.11.10

Mexican-Asian Fusion Stew

I originally started out using mushrooms in place of hominy in this soup, because I hate corn.  However, the mushrooms did not really seem to go, and here I have made the changes that I would make next time.  M said this was one of her favourite soups that I have ever made, and I agree that it’s very good.  The combination of flavours is rather interesting, and there are tons of veggies.  My favourite part though has to be the potatoes and yuba.  Never had yuba in a soup before today, but I really like it.  The wrapped pieces came apart in the soup, and there were really long ribbons of it in the finished product, so it kind of reminded me of spaghetti.


Mexican-Asian Fusion Stew

Serves 6-8

Adapted from Chow Vegan

3 ounces dried yuba (bean curd) sticks, soaked to rehydrate, cut into short strips
2 medium red potatoes, diced
2 medium carrots, diced
1 small onion, diced
 4 garlic cloves, smashed and roughly chopped
1 bunch green onions, chopped
2 cups bean sprouts
28 oz. can fire roasted crushed tomatoes
4 cups water
1 tablespoon vegan beef base bouillon
1 vegetable bullion cube
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 tablespoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon chili sauce
1/2 teaspoon oregano
A few sprigs of cilantro for garnish, chopped

Heat a large dutch oven over high heat with a bit of water. Add the garlic and onion and sauté until translucent, about 3 minutes. Add the green onions, potatoes and carrots and sauté for 2 minutes.
Add the tomatoes and its juices and spices. Stir to mix well.
Add both the bouillons, the water, bean sprouts and the yuba sticks. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to low and simmer for 35 minutes. To serve, garnish with the cilantro.

No comments:

Post a Comment