6.11.10

Paneer Tofu and Peas Stir Fry


I have no clue whatsoever why this recipe caught my eye- I guess it just looked appealing.  I had such a kitchen-y day today, because I also had to do the cooking for my greek competition (which I think we won, too!)  I won’t be posting any of the recipes, because they were pretty gross.  The tizaki that I made was a hit, though, but I hate cucumber.  So there.  This is another easy stir fry that deserves five gold stars.  One really weird thing, though.  No soy sauce!  I’m dead serious.  It is Indian, but still.  Actually, there are a lot of other flavours that take its place, so there’s no lack of flavour, or sauce for that matter.  One really depressing thing though.  A Greek recipe had called for lemon juice, and I only had one lemon on hand, and so did this recipe.  I juiced it, and then, unknowingly M threw away the leftover juice.  And so there was

Paneer Tofu and Peas

Adapted from Vegan Dad

Serves about 4

½ tbsp peanut or other frying oil

26 oz tofu, pressed and cubed
6 tbsp milk
2 tbsp plain (or almond, or vanilla) yogurt
1 tsp miso paste

Heat a non-stick frying pan (or wok) over medium heat with the oil. Whisk together wet ingredients in a small bowl, making sure miso dissolves. Add tofu to frying pan and fry for about 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until it is pretty much done and you are ready to stop and move on to the next step.
Add the wet mixture and cook for a couple seconds, and then remove to a separate bowl.

1 large-ish sweet potato, peeled and diced
1 large onion, halved and sliced
1" piece of ginger, grated
1/3 cup cilantro, chopped
2 tsp tumeric
2 tsp garam masala
½ tsp salt
1 tsp chili powder
4 cups frozen peas
28 oz can diced tomatoes (or 3-4 fresh tomatoes, here used 14.5 oz canned and 2 fresh)
1 cup milk
2 tsp lemon juice (optional)

Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add the potato, and cook until tender-firm, about 7 minutes. Drain.
Heat a wok over high heat with a bit of water. Sauté the onion for a couple minutes, and then add the ginger. Sauté for about 5 more minutes, and then add the cilantro and seasonings, and cook for 2 more minutes, mixing the spices thoroughly. Add the peas, tomatoes, and potato and cook for five minutes. Add remaining ingredients and tofu, and cook for about 10 more minutes, until heated through and bubbling slightly.
Serve over rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment