23.11.10

Hearty Cabbage Stoup

The weather where I live is beyond me- just a couple days ago, I was wearing my warmest sweater and still shivering, and now I am wearing short sleeves and shorts. It’s just so weird… but I think that the whole US is supposed to get some arctic blast from Canada, just in time for Thanksgiving. Ah, Thanksgiving. It’s just around the corner now, and I can’t wait. Plus I have just about six hours until I am entirely free until next Monday. Which is more welcome that you could even imagine. And I will be doing so much cooking. And eating. And cooking. And other fun stuff too, like Christmas shopping.


I think that’s really all I have to say at this point about life, and now on to this stew-thing. I am reluctant to call it a full-blown stew because it’s not really all that thick, but it seems like there is not enough broth to call it a soup. And so you have stoup. And very good stoup, I might add. It’s loaded with nutritious and filling things, and is quite cheap as far as these types of things go. Cabbage with tomato sauce, rice, and potatoes, and some vegetarian sausage. I loved how this dish turned out, and will most certainly be making it again, because it took all of 20 minutes to put together, and was so warm and filling. The caraway seeds were also quite an interesting addition. I’m so glad I bought them- M ended up finding the seeds, because I couldn’t at first. And the sausage is quite funny in the package. Like all the other ingredients, it’s quite cheap as far as fake meats go, and looked like a giant, short, fat sausage. M thought it looked quite unappetizing, but I just thought it was funny. It tasted kind of like the beef, but had a bit firmer texture. The only thing about it was, because of its size, M was struggling for almost ten minutes trying to get the wrapper off because it was freezing her fingers. Defrosting the chunk took quite a while too, but the stoup was so good.



Cabbage and Caraway Stoup


Adapted from I Eat Food

Serves 8

1 large onion, roughly chopped
1/2 green cabbage, shredded
1- 2 tsp caraway seeds
2 smallish red potatoes, cubed
4 cups water
1 vegetable bullion cube
2 tsp Better Than Bullion Beef Flavouring
8 oz tomato sauce
½ 100 g log-sausage-like-thing of fake meat
2 cups cooked rice
Salt, to taste
Paprika, to taste

Heat a large Dutch oven over medium high heat. Sauté the onion until translucent, about 7 minutes. Add the cabbage, and sauté for a couple minutes, until it has shrunk some. Add the seeds through the tomato sauce. Bring to a boil and simmer, covered, for 30 minutes.
Add the remaining ingredients, and continue to simmer for atleast 10 more minutes, until potatoes are tender and it is heated through.

No comments:

Post a Comment