18.2.12

Lotsa Baked Beans


Wow!  Ok, so before you make this dish, make sure you have lots of things to soak the beans in, and lots of dishes to bake them in.  I filled a 13x9 casserole dish, 4 small ramkins, and 2 large ramkins.  Now I know what I'll be having for dinner this week... but it's totally ok - these are amazing, and just spicy enough for my wimpy taste.  Adapted from I Eat Food

Oh, real fast before I forget, I also made a pretty good salad dressing: tofu mayo (silken tofu + lemon juice), apple cider vinegar, dried spearmint, dried basil, and raspberry syrup.

The beans were a mixture of GIANT lima beans, pinto, great northern, and red kidney.  About 1 1/3 cups dried of each, and then soaked overnight and cooked.  Then I sauteed a large onion, a couple of carrots, and a small-ish red bell pepper, and added the beans.  The sauce was 16 oz canned tomato sauce, 1/2 cup light bbq sauce, 3/4 cup brown sugar, 1/4 cup molasses, 1/3 cup ketchup, 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar, 1/3 cup dijon mustard, 1/2 tbsp liquid smoke, 1 tsp chipotle chili powder, 3 tbsp chili powder, 1 tsp allspice... yup, that's all..

Then this was stuffed into pans/ramkins and baked for 45 - 90 minutes, depending on the size of the pan. 

The one thing I would change next time would be to add a bit more sauce, although I had the smallest ramkins tonight so they might have dried out anyways.  It was still so amazing and satisfying - it's been waaay too long since I've made baked beans...

No comments:

Post a Comment