1.1.12

New Year's Black Eyed Peas

I made these, with the sauce adapted from WTHDAVEA.  Also, I made another batch of that yummy turnip soup (it's actually simmering right now.  I'm kind of waiting for it to finish..).  And, I THINK I have FINALLY figured out the trick for making veggie chips.  Updates tomorrow...


New Year’s Black Eyed Peas (warning: rather a high sodium content, but, I figure that’s ok because I don’t eat many packaged foods anyway…)


Simmer fresh black eyed peas until tender, which took me 45 minute.  In the meantime, blend together a shot of vanilla, brown sugar, 5 spice powder, ¼ cup each mirin and water, 1/3 cup miso paste, ¼ cup ketchup, ¼ cup red wine vinegar, garlic powder, paprika, and liquid smoke, with a bit of pepper.  Sauté a bit of red onion in a frying pan, and then add the peas and about ½ the sauce, reserving the rest for something else.  Simmer until ready to serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment