29.1.12

Soup, Salad Dressing

Yeah, ok, not so creative on the names.   You got a problem with that? 

I have made waaaaaaay too many soups to keep coming up with names... and the salad dressing, well, it's too good for a name.  We'll just call it Salad Dressing.

For the soup, adapted from here:
Veggies were equal amounts of onion and carrot (large piles), 1/2 lb green beans, tomato sauce, and potatoes.  It also got some red kidney beans.  Seasonings were 1 cup white wine, 1 tbsp each sumac and paprika, and vegetarian chicken bullion.  Thickened with cornstarch and finished off with vegetarian meat.  It was quite good, and chunky too...



The salad dressing happened because I opened a container of tomato paste for the soup, and then decided it was unneccessary (read: it wouldn't fit).  So I jumped over to AllRecipes, and saw this.

My version consisted of 1/2 cup each mirin and tofu mayo*, 6 oz tomato paste, 2 hefty tbsp brown sugar, a bit of apple cider vinegar, mustard powder, garlic and onion powder, caraway seeds, liquid smoke, and paprika.  It made quite a bit and was very tomato-y, but it was really yum!  I loved how it was different from other dressings that I have made.  The only thing that I would change would be to use tomato sauce instead of the paste, which might make it less tomato-y...

UPDATE 1/30: Ok, so I got a really bad grade on my precal test.  I feel the need to put this in here... I'm sulking.  Now for the actual update - this dressing thickens up A LOT.  A LOT A LOT.  So, I would advise dumping in more mirin and vinegar to thin it out... then do that the next day as well, because that's how thick it gets.

*Tofu mayo: half cook 18 oz silken tofu and blend with 1/4 cup lemon juice.

No comments:

Post a Comment