29.1.12

Lentil Sheperd's Pie

So, this was supposed to get mashed potatoes on top... but the soup from last night had used them all up!... so I ended up putting a crust on it instead.  And now, because of my stupidity, I have two almost-full bags of whole wheat flour open.  Oops... oh well, I think that means I will be making some bread tomorrow...

The pie was adapted from here.

Soak and cook 1 cup dried green/brown lentils (not the red kind).
Saute up 1 onion, a couple of carrots, and garlic.  Add the lentils, 2 tbsp soy sauce, 1 cup white wine, dried basil, Italian seasoning, Spike seasoning, and thyme and mix well.  Make sure to use lots of seasoning, because the lentils tend to turn out bland in my opinion otherwise.  Then fold in 1/2 bunch spinach.  Pour in the crust, and any leftover in a ramkin.  Bake at 350 for 30 minutes.

For the crust, I used my no-fail super-easy super-healthy pie crust.  Spray a pie pan with nonstick spray, and then mix together (yes, in the pan) 1/2 cup each whole wheat flour, oatmeal, and sunflower seeds.  Then add about 1/2 cup applesauce to start, and add more until the mixture holds together.  Press the dough in the form of the pie pan, and then bake at 350 for 12 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment