11.3.12

Chocolate Covered Peanut Butter Pretzel Sandwiches

Yeah, yeah.  I know, these are a DESSERT... they aren't healthy at all.  I will be the first to admit that.  but one needs to eat dessert once a week... at least, I do ;).  I have a large bowl of vegan ice cream smothered in toppings, so sometimes it seems like I really have two desserts - ice cream, and vegan chocolates.  Anyhoo, I made these thingies last night and put a few on my ice cream.  And they are A-mazing.  A-mazing!   A nice combination of pretzel, chocolate, and peanut flavour - plus they're pretty sweet.



I apologize for adding another dessert to the giant realm of vegan desserts... But, seeing as this has been the first sweet thing I have made in years, and it was super yummy, I figured I might as well post it.

Just sayin', these take about 45 minutes - 1 hour of actual work, and then they dry for about 1 - 2 hours... they actually dried while I ate dinner, so I can't say to be precise.  Then I bagged them up and froze them for later.  And, although I made about 50 sandwiches, I wouldn't be surprised if they only last a few weeks - M has a weakness for that type of thing...

Adapted from 17 And Baking.

So, first you mix together 1 cup peanut butter (crunchy or creamy... I used crunchy because that's what we had, but all the recipes that I saw called for creamy... *shrugs*), a scant 2/3 cup powdered sugar, a scant 3/4 cup brown sugar, a smidgen of coconut extract (all the recipes I saw called for vanilla extract, but I don't have any so I was like "well, coconut works too"), and about 1 tbsp soy milk.  Then ball up about 1 - 2 tsp of this mixture and sandwich it between two pretzels.  The pretzels can be the traditional twists, or the checkerboard ones - I used the checkerboard, but all the recipes I saw used twists.  After you finish making the sandwiches, melt 1 - 1 1/2 cups vegan chocolate chips in the microwave - the key here is to go low and slow.  Note: most dark chocolate = vegan chocolate.  Just check the ingredients.  After the chocolate is melted, dunk the pretzels in, lay them on wax paper, and let them solidify. 

And then eat them... but sparingly, my friends.  Do not overindulge - these are NOT healthy by any means.

No comments:

Post a Comment