2.10.10

Baked Dijon Oyster Mushrooms

This, honestly, is probably one of the weirdest dishes that I have ever made.  Becasue:
1) The original recipe called for anise.  Well, the Asian market did not have any anise, and I was not going to pay a whopping $2.50 for a pathetic looking bulb at the "normal" grocery store.  So, at first I was heading for the leeks, but then THESE caught my eye- giant green onions.  So, of course, they went in instead.  I thought I was going to die of laughter when I was chopping them... (Actually, if you can't find these, I bet normal green onions would be a great substitute.  Or, I would really liked to have anise, and that would really add a unique flavour.)
2) I have never made a "mushroom casserole" dish like this before.
3) Dijon was something that I would never have thought of using.  Which stinks, because I love that taste, and really need to start using it more.
4) I think the mushrooms deflated when they were baking.  Honestly, the dish was overflowing when I shoved it in the oven, and it was half empty when it came out.  That puzzles me.  I can just picture the mushrooms deflating like a bunch of mini balloons.  That's such an odd image...

And with all that, this tasted really good!  A bit heavy on the mushrooms- maybe I would eliminate about 1/3 pound or so and use something else like broccoli or cabbage (that's not a bad idea, actually).  I had it plain, with cashews, and over rice, and all are really good ways to serve it.  The rice was great at soaking up all the sauce, and the dijon mustard was so cool!  I never really use dijon in things like this, but it's a formidable (as the French would say) taste.

Oyster Mushrooms Rockefeller

Serves 6-8


Adapted from The Vegetarian Times
2 12-oz. pkg. oyster mushrooms, chopped if they are large
3 tbsp soy sauce
3 tbsp rice vinegar
1 bunch spinach, washed and stemmed, water still on the leaves
2 baby bok choy, chopped into thin ribbons
1/2 cup fat free mayonnaise
1 package giant green onions, chopped, or 1 fennel bulb chopped
3 tbsp Dijon mustard
2 shallots, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced

Preheat the oven to 400. Coat a large casserole dish with nonstick spray.
Put the mushrooms on the bottom of the casserole dish.
Saute the green onions until they are wilted, about 7 minutes. (Skip if you are using anise.) Place in a small bowl.
Saute the spinach and bok choy, using the water to wilt the leaves.
Meanwhile, mix the green onions with the remaining ingredients in the bowl.
When the spinach mixture is wilted, remove with a slotted spoon and roughly chop. Layer over the mushrooms. On top of that put the mayo-dijon dressing.
Bake for 15 minutes, until it has greatly decreased in size. Broil for a couple minutes to get a nice brown top, and serve.


No comments:

Post a Comment