23.10.10

Souffles- They're Not That Hard!

One thing I have to say about these.  Appearently they don't like the camera, because I didn't really get any good pictures of these soufflés.  And now they're all gone.  Which really stinks, because they were really good.
Yes, they are quite time-consuming, from all the chopping of the leeks so finely.  M was positively groaning by the time she had finished (I gave her that job.  I know, I'm so nice).  And then they have to bake for half an hour too.  But it's all worth it.  Both M and I loved these- the combination of flavours and textures made this such a unique culinary experience.  I got to use my ramkins, too, which is always a plus... One thing I have to say though.  These are a little higher in fat than something I normally make, from the eggs and walnuts, but are still very healthy and good for you (and a lot healthier than the original version).
This was both M and mine's first soufflé experience, both in eating and making.  I was surprised at how well ours rised, because soufflés are notorious for not turning out right.  This was not the case for that recipe, so I would highly recommend it to anyone who has never made a soufflé before. 
Walnuts, leeks, eggs... all really poofed up, in a lovely warm ramkin...

Leek and Walnut Soufflés

Adapted from the Vegetarian Bible

Serves 4-6
3 small-ish leeks, very finely chopped
½ cup broth
2 eggs, separated
1/3 cup walnuts, chopped finely
2 tbsp chopped mixed fresh herbs (we used chives, basil, and rosemary)
2 tbsp vanilla yogurt
½ cup skim ricotta cheese
Salt and pepper to taste

Heat a large frying pan over medium heat. Saute the leeks for 3 minutes. Add the broth, cover, and simmer for 5 minutes.
Preheat the oven to 350.
In a small mixing bowl, beat the egg whites until they form stiff peaks (I used an electric mixer).
In another bowl, beat the yolks. Add the leeks and remaining ingredients, and mix well. Working quickly now before the whites deflate, add the whites to the leek mixture, and pour all of that into ramkins or a large baking dish, coating them with nonstick spray.
Bake for 35-40 minutes, or until nice and poofy and golden brown on top.

No comments:

Post a Comment