8.10.10

Green Bean and Cabbage Dijon Stir Fry

This has got to be one of the most ad-lib dishes that has ever appeared for dinner.  The original recipes were a salad type thing.  This is a stir fry.  The originals have almost no ingredients in common... but whatever.  I was so surprised with how well this turned out. 
The sauce got all nice and thick, and the walnuts add a nice touch, as they seem to be so good at doing.  I honestly have no clue why dijon popped in my head, but I saw it staring at me when I was puzzling over what to make the sauce with, and voila.  I have had dijon and cabbage before, but nothing quite like this.  There is a tad of spiciness, a little zip, and the yellow bean sauce adds such a nice undertone- a deep salty goodness.  Not one of your prettier stir fries- but, to quote M, "I'd rather have it taste good than look pretty, if it had to be one or the other." 
And, I just have to say, this is something a person can whip up quickly on a Friday night.  Which was a good thing tonight, because, franlky, I'm exhausted.  But the food is delish, so it's all good.


Cabbage and Green Bean Dijon Stir Fry


Serves 4-6

Inspired by this and this recipe from 101 Vegetarian Cookbooks

1/3 cup mirin
2 tablespoons rice vinegar
2 tsp yellow bean sauce
2 tbsp lemon juice
½ tbsp corn starch
3 tbsp Dijon mustard
Chili paste to taste
1/2 a small cabbage, shredded
1 ¼ lb green beans, trimmed and cut into 1 inch pieces
1 red onion, diced
1/3 cup toasted walntus
1 ½ cups pink beans

Mix together the mirin through chili paste in a small bowl. Set aside.

Heat a wok over high heat with a bit of water. Sauté the onion for a minute, then add the green beans. Sauté for 2 more minutes, then add the cabbage. After 5 more minutes stir in the beans, and then add the sauce. Stir to coat, and continue sautéing until the veggies are tender, about 4 more minutes. Remove from heat and stir in walnuts. Serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment