1.10.10

Whoa- Five Spice Tofu!!

Earlier this week, a friend of mine recommended that I try the five spice tofu that the Asian market sells.  I had had my eye on it for quite a while now, and so, I ended up searching up a recipe to use it.  Oddly, I couldn't really find anything using premade tofu except this one that looked remotely appealing to me, so this is what I ended up basing my recipe off of. 
For some reason, lunch stir frys never seem to turn out really good.  This one was certainly the exception to that rule.  Both M and I agreed- we would certainly make this dish again.  The sauce was especially delish and special.  I think it was the yellow bean paste that added the unique flavour that I find so hard to put words to.  The veggies were really nice this time around too, and they seem to fit very well with the sauce.  And the tofu is really different, too.  If you have never tried pressed tofu, I highly recommend it.   It's kind of firm, and feels a little like tofu, only with more substance.  I thought they looked almost like pieces of mushroom, not tofu, because of the colour.  M said it looked like cheese with that plasitc on the outside.  Whatever.  It was so good, and such a nice change from normal tofu.  Now that I think about it, I really haven't been eating much tofu at all recently.  Have I moved beyond tofu?  Impossible!  There's just so much to explore in the vegetarian frozen section of the Asian market, it's incredible. 

Five Spice Tofu and Yellow Bean Paste Sauce Stir Fry

Serves 4
Inspired by Passionate Eater

2 cups green beans, chopped into 1 inch lengths
4 cloves of garlic, finely minced
2 tsp yellow bean paste
2 tbsp miso paste
3 tbsp soy sauce
Chili sauce, to taste
2 tbsp rice vinegar
1 tbsp agave nectar
½ tbsp corn starch
1 package 5 spice tofu, cubed
1 very large carrot, coined
2 baby bok choy, chopped into ribbons

Mix together the bean paste through the corn starch. Set aside.

Heat a wok over high heat with a bit of water. Add the carrot, and cook for a minute. Add the green beans, and after another minute or so add the garlic. When the veggies are almost tender, add the tofu and heat through. Add the sauce, then the bok choy, and cook until all veggies are done to your liking.

No comments:

Post a Comment