25.10.10

Indian Mutton Stir Fry

For a while now, I have had my eye on some of the cutest food that has ever come to the Asian Market.  Peewee potatoes.  I think they are absolutely adorable!  So, of course, I knew I was eventually going to make something with them, but have never gotten around to thinking of the mini taters at the right moment.  Until this recipe! 
This one started out as another one in my lovely cookbook Wok, and I added more veggies, as usual.  This one is more Inidan in flavour, as appossed to Chinese-feeling.  And I was rather surprised at the amount of spices that it called for- most of which I didn't have the real version of.  It called for things such as cardamom pods and a cinnamon stick, so I just used the ground version.  Some days I wish I had a motar and pestle, because that would be really cool...
Honestly, I have been so busy lately that I can't seem to find much time for blogging anymore, and it seems like I just do all my posting on the weekends... Stupid chemistry is really getting to me and my GPA. 
But back to this stir fry.  The potatoes went just perfectly in it- they were done just right, and kind of popped in your mouth.  The sauce, which is yogurt based, is rather different from your conventional stir fry sauce, and it was a lot thicker than others that I have had.  The first few times I ate this, I had it over rice, but that ran out, so I also had it over sorgum noodles (which are really similar to soba noodles), and that was surprisingly good.

Indian Mutton Stir Fry

Serves 4-6

Adapted from Wok
1 tsp tumeric
Salt, to taste
1/4 - 1/2 tsp ground cloves
1/4 - 1/2 tsp ground cardamom
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp cinnamon
Nutmeg, to taste
2 tbsp miso paste
1 1/2 tbsp Better Than Bullion Beef Flavouring
3 tbsp soy sauce
3 tbsp rice vinegar
1 large onion, chopped
4 small or 2 large carrots, coined
1 inch piece ginger, grated
3-4 cloves garlic, pressed
1 red bell pepper,  chopped
3 cups green cabbage, shredded
12 oz fingerling potatoes, cut in half and boiled just until tender
1 can straw mushrooms, drained (these were actually kind of a weird addition- if you can think of anything else to add, go for it.  Maybe green beans?  Peas?)
1 generous cup edammame
1 package vegetarian mutton, thawed and broken into bite-sized pieces
2/3 (6 oz) fat free plain or vanilla yogurt (I used vanilla- Target brand!!)

Mix together the tumeric through nutmeg in a small bowl.  In a separate bowl mix together the miso through rice vinegar, stirring until miso and bullion is dissolved. 

Heat a wok over high heat with a bit of water.  Add the carrots and onion, and saute for 2 minutes.  Add the garlic and ginger, stir throughly, and add bell pepper and cabbage.  Stir fry for another minute or so, and then add the mushrooms, edammame, and potatoes.  Cook until heated through, and add the sauce and mutton.  Heat through again, and stir in all the spices and yogurt.  Serve over brown rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment