15.10.10

More Fall Recipes!

I feel like I have been doing so much cooking today.  They have all been really small and quick dishes, but it's been quite a creating-leftovers sort of day.  I'm kind of stocking up for next week... Which is going to be, I think, over the top crazy.  Which really stinks.  I want Thanksgiving holiday to be here so bad- I know both M and I are tired of the hectic lives we have.  But ever onward we shall go...
In the meantime, I whipped out another two delish things for dinner tonight.  Pumpkin dumplings, and tomato soup.  They were rather interesting, and, although they were nothing to rant and rave about, I was pleased with the day's results.
The soup is just tomato soup.  Nothing super special, unless you count the basil, but sometimes a person just really wants tomato soup.  It's a comfort food, I think.  I know M was especially grateful for the soup, as she has been rather sleep deprived.  And I just like tomato soup.  So there.
The dumplings were interesting, to say the least.  I think the filling took all of 3 minutes to mix together, and filling them took about half an hour.  I was so pleased with the results too, because I managed to use up all of our wonton wrappers and all the filling.  That never happens.  And so in the oven these went, where they developed a nice crispy shell.  I'm still trying to come up with a good sauce, but as of right now I think the best option would be apricot preserves watered down with something.  Milk, maybe?  Soy sauce?  Anyway, the pumpkin flavour was different from what M and I normally eat, and was a nice change of pace.  Although, I do have to say I didn't do all that neat of a job filling them, because the wrappers were being very breakable.

Ricotta-Pumpkin Dumplings

Adapted from Taste of Home

Makes about 40

15 oz can pureed pumpkin
1 cup skim ricotta cheese
Salt, to taste
40 wonton wrappers

Mix together the pumpking, cheese, and salt in a small bowl.  Spoon about 1/2 tbsp in a wrapper, wet the edges of the wrapper, and seal.  Place on a plate.  Repeat with remaining filling.  Freeze until frozen through, or you are ready to use.
For baking: Preheat the oven to 375.  Coat a baking sheet with nonstick spray, and place dumplings on sheet.  Bake for 10 minutes, until lightly browned, crispy, and heated through.  Serve with dipping sauce.

Tomato Basil Soup

Serves 6
Adapted from Cooking Light

2 cups roughly chopped onion
2 cups roughly chopped fennel or leek
3-4 cloves garlic, roughly minced
4 cups vegetable broth (or 4 cups water and bullion cubes)
1 28 oz can tomatoes, any form (the original says diced, but whatever you have on hand works)
½ tsp thyme
2 tbsp fresh basil, roughly chopped
Salt and pepper to taste

Heat a dutch oven over medium high heat. Sauté the onion for 3 minutes, and then add the leek or fennel and sauté for 3 more minutes. Add the garlic, and after two more minutes add the remaining ingredients except salt and pepper. Bring to a boil and simmer, covered, for 35 minutes.

Remove from heat and blend with either a blender or immersion blender (how I would love one of these). Return the soup to the pot if necessary, and heat through. Add salt and pepper to taste, and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment