2.10.10

Rustic, Warming Cabbage and "Beef" Stew

Going with my trend of these amazing mock meats, I picked out this recipe by Fat Free Vegan for my next round of cooking.  I kept pretty much everything the same, with only a few changes- namely, nixing the celery and adding bell pepper because I think it tastes better.  I had half of a humongous head of cabbage to use up, and this seemed like the perfect dish to throw it in. 
And I was right about that- this is another winner.  It's healthy to the extreme, and is so rich in flavour and filling.  A most appropriate thing to make when the weather took a turn for the cooler.  It's now in the 80's!  It's soo cold...
But, really, I loved the deep flavour of the broth, and the onion and cabbage seemed to marry so nicely.  M had it one night over rice.  I never did, but she said that it was great that way too, because of all the sauce. 
Yay!  Fall has arrived, and so has this bounty of all these delish foods with it.  Halloween.. Purmpulnickens- what I call pumpkins.  I can't wait!

Rustic Cabbage and "Beef" Stew

Serves 6-8

Adapted from Fat Free Vegan
2 medium onions, sliced thick
1/2 head medium cabbage, shredded
4 carrots, coined
1 bell pepper, chopped into strips
2-3 cups water
2-3 tbsp Better Than Bullion Ham Flavouring (the BEST stuff ever)
1 teaspoon thyme
1/2 teaspoon ground sage
1 teaspoon Chinese mustard (or just normal ground mustard)
Generous teaspoon and wasabi
3 tablespoons cooking sherry
salt and pepper, to taste
8 oz package fake beef
¼ cup soy sauce
2 tbsp mirin

Heat a large soup pot over medium high heat with a bit of water. Saute the onions for 5 minutes, until tender-ish. Add the carrots, mix, and then add the cabbage and bell pepper. Add the water and flavouring in order to get the consistency you desire. Add through the salt and pepper, and mix. Cover and cook at a simmer for 15 minutes, stirring on occasion.

Add the remaining ingredients, stir again, and cook for atleast 10 more minutes. Serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment