8.10.10

Spinach and Shiitake Tofu Quiche

This is a prime example of something worth the effort that goes into it.  Yes, this is one of the most time-consuming dishes that I have attempted recently.  And yes, it is one of the most outstanding dishes that I have attempted recently.  Seriously, every time I was eating the quiche "I'm in heaven" was flashing across my mind.  This makes quite a bit, too, so it lasted M and I the whole week (along with other leftovers, of course). 
I have made a tofu quiche before, and that one is really good too- I just adore the creamy texture of the pureed tofu, and the crust is always a favourite.  I don't think that there was one thing in particular that I really liked about this quiche- it's just all around a great dish.  Spinach, mushrooms... onion... and other yummy stuff!
My only regret is that the picture did not turn out all that great.  But don't be fooled- it looks much more appetizing in real life.  I was hungry and wanted to eat.  What can I say?

Spinach and Shiitake Tofu Quiche


Adapted from 101 Vegetarian Cookbooks

Serves 6-8

1 large onion, roughly chopped
.75 oz package shiitake mushrooms, chopped
2 tablespoons mirin
1 1/2 teaspoons coarse sea salt
3 garlic cloves, chopped small enough to put in a blender
12 basil leaves, chopped
1/2 teaspoon fresh rosemary
Pinch hot red pepper flakes
1 pound firm tofu, cubed
2 tablespoons lemon juice
2 tablespoon rice vinegar
2 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp Better Than Bullion ham flavouring
A bit more than one huge bunch fresh spinach, stemmed, with a bit of water still on the leaves from washing
1 sesame oat pie crust (or whatever you want)
Hungarian paprika, for dusting

Preheat the oven to 350 convection.

Heat a large pot (I used a dutch oven) coated with nonstick spray over high heat with a bit of water. Sauté the onion and mushrooms until tender, about 8-10 minutes, adding water as needed. Remove from heat and put in a largish bowl.

In the same pot, cook the spinach until wilted, about 4 minutes. Remove from heat, cool, and chop. Add to the mushroom mixture.

In a blender or food processor, mix together the mirin, salt, garlic, basil, rosemary, red pepper, tofu, lemon juice, rice vinegar, soy sauce, and Better Than Bullion until smooth. Add to the mushroom mixture.

Stir the mushroom mixture well, and then put it in the pie crust. If you have leftover filling, put it in a ramekin, and bake it alongside the quiche. I ended up with 4 ramekins extra.  Sprinkle with paprika.

Bake for 35 minutes or so, until it begins to bubble and brown on top. Cut into wedges and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment