9.10.10

Sweet, Sour, and Smoky Duck Stir Fry

Bottled sauces have got to be one of the most useful things that are known to man.  Sometimes, I feel like I'm cheating when I just dump a boatload of sauce from a jar into a stir fry, but I figure that enough of my own elements are added too to where it's not cheating.  So that's my excuse...
But, honestly.  Who cares where the sauce came from if it makes a stir fry so good, you get dreamy just thinking about it?  Not me, that's for sure.  And that's exactly the case with this dish.  It's easy (relatively), makes a ton, and the sauce is irrisistably tasty and thick.  Another good old pile o' veggies that I would love to make time and time again.  Sometimes, I think piles of veggie are good for the soul, and there is nothing more picturesque than a steaming stir fry on a night when one is completely whipped out.
The mock meat M and I selected for this recipe was called "Smoked Duck".  Weird, I know.  But it was really fun to cut up, and lended a smoky flavour (no duh) that I am so fond of.  And it smelled really good, too, when cooking.  Of course, the texture was interesting too- not quite setian, not quite tofu.  Just bliss...


Sweet, Sour, and Smoky Mock Duck Stir Fry

Serves 4-6

Inspired by Wok

2 large carrots, coined
4 leeks, coined
1 large or 2 small red bell peppers, chopped
2 cups broccoli, chopped into florets
2 cups green cabbage, shredded
1 package smoke-flavoured mock duck (good luck finding that… mine came in a long, thin package, I would guess it was just under a pound)
1 tbsp chopped fresh basil
¼ cup soy sauce
¼ cup ketchup
3 tbsp rice vinegar
6 tbsp sweet and sour sauce

Mix together the soy sauce through the sweet and sour sauce in a small bowl. Set aside.
Heat a wok over high heat with a bit of water. Add the carrots, and sauté for a minute. Add the broccoli and leeks. After about 3 more minutes of sautéing, toss in the cabbage and basil. When that is mixed in, add the bell pepper. Cook for about 5 more minutes, until almost done, and then add the duck and sauce. Stir to coat the veggies, and continue sautéing until heated through.
Serve over brown rice, or noodles.  Sorgum noodles are in the picture; I also liked this over rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment