24.12.10

.. And Now I Really Need to go to the Grocery Store


After making this soup, I think there is almost no ingredients at my house except for a onion and some cilantro.  Seriously, this is getting rather desperate.  I actually just had barely enough "ham" to make this soup, and I had to add it to my individual bowl.  That seemed rather depressing.  It was the same way with the cooked rice.  Atleast I have some time now to actually do something besides homework because it's Christmas break.  But still, I have actually been working for quite a surprising amount of time for the past week.  It's getting kind of old. 
Out of all the recipes that I had been planning to make, this was the only one that I could have actually made.  Which was OK with M and I, because we were frozen solid when we got back from shopping at an outdoor mall.  Which was insanely busy, I might add.  But this soup was, thankfully, not all that hard to pull together, moslty becasue M did all the washing, and we had dinner on the table in just over an hour.  The soup was delicious, and very filling.  We were both starving, and this just hit the spot.  It made a very large batch, too, which is a good thing because otherwise I would be fighting M for the leftovers.  Which will probably end up happening anyway.

Dark Veggie and Rice Soup


Adapted from Kalyn’s Kitchen

Serves 10
1 smallish onion, chopped
1 cup carrots, coined
6 cloves garlic, pressed
Just over 1 lb crimini mushrooms, sliced
5 cups water
2 tbsp Better Than Bullion Vegetarian Beef Flavouring
14 oz can diced tomatoes
Generous 1 cup frozen peas
2 small sweet potatoes, peeled and diced small
2 Tbsp molasses
2 Tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar
4 sprigs fresh rosemary, chopped
2 tbsp corn starch mixed with 2 tbsp water
1 bunch spinach, stemmed
3 cups vegetarian meat
1/3 cup brown rice, cooked
Cheese, to top
Salt and pepper, to taste

Heat a large Dutch oven over medium high heat. Sauté the onion and carrots for 2 minutes and then stir in the garlic. Add the mushrooms and sauté for 5 more minutes, until pretty much tender. Add the remaining ingredients through the rosemary, and simmer until the sweet potatoes are almost tender, about 20 minutes. Add the corn starch slurry, the spinach, the meat, and the rice. Simmer until ready to serve. Serve, topped with cheese and salt and pepper.

No comments:

Post a Comment