18.12.10

Mini Potato Pizzas

These are so cute!  I got home kind of late when I wanted to make these, and yet I still had no clue how they were going to turn out.  And then I decided to make some last minute decisions about how to make the sauce - which, I have to say, saved me about 15 minutes of prep time.  I was really pleased with how these babies turned out, and they are really fun to eat and make.  I finally have found something that will serve as a pizza crust that I don't have regrets about eating.  Potatoes are one of the most amazing foods, I think. 
Another random tidbit that I found in the Taste of Home magasine that someone has given me a subscription to - appearently, black rice is even healthier than brown.  I guess I would buy that.  I just thought that was rather interesting, and now I feel like I should try it.  The really ironic thing, though, was that I saw that writeup in TOH, one of the least healthy magasines that I know.  Go figure.

Mini Potato Pizzas
Serves 4

Adapted from Practical Pasta and Italian by Fiona Biggs

1 large baking potato
1 cup crushed tomatoes
½ tsp garlic powder
½ tsp onion powder
2 tsp Italian seasoning
1 small can mushrooms, drained
½ cup skim mozzarella cheese, grated
Salt and pepper, to taste
Basil leaves, for garnish

Slice the potato into ¼ inch thick pieces, and arrange in a single layer on a baking sheet.
Mix the tomatoes, garlic and onion powder, and Italian seasonings in a small bowl.
Preheat the oven to 380.
Top the potatoes with the sauce, mushrooms, and cheese. Bake for 25 minutes, until the cheese has melted and the potatoes are tender. Serve, topped with basil leaves and salt and pepper.

No comments:

Post a Comment