29.12.10

"Beef" and Broccolini Stir Fry

It's so cold and wet.  M and I went shopping today, and I'm still frozen solid like an ice cube, even though we got back hours ago.  What miserable weather.  I wouldn't really mind all that much, but it seems to be cold, cold, cold everywhere.  It's impossible to find anywhere to thaw out.  Unless I'm buried underneath a pile of blankets in bed.  When means that I have a very hard time getting up in the mornings.  I just feel bad for New York City, because they just got a huge snow storm.  That's winter for you!  Only, where I live, it doesn't really snow, it just gets really cold.
But there's nothing like a nice and warm stir fry to warm me up, and this one certainly fit the bill tonight of being quick and hot.  It's nice and simple, and the sauce turned out great.  The funny thing was that I had no clue what I was doing the whole time I was making the dish.  But it still turned out to be exactly what I had been craving, especially becasue the last stir fry I tried to make was absolutely disgusting.  I am very grateful that this one turned out so good and kind of wish that it make a bigger batch.  Oh well.  It was quick, filling, and stellar cooking.

"Beef" and Broccolini Stir Fry

1 very small onion, sliced
2 small carrots, sliced on the sharp diagonal
1 lb white button mushrooms, quartered
1 bunch broccolini, stalks cut in half. stems and florets separated
2/3 cup edammame
3-4 cups vegetarian beef
2 tbsp honey
1 tbsp corn starch
1 tbsp Better Than Bullion Vegetarian Beef flavouing
4 tbsp soy sauce
4 tbsp mirin
1 1/2 tbsp chili garlic paste
Cashews, to serve

Mix together the  honey through the chili garlic paste in a small bowl.  Set aside.
Heat a wok over fairly high heat with a bit of water.  Add the onion and broccolini stems and stir fry for 2 minutes.  Add the carrots.  Stir fry for a couple more seconds, and then add the mushrooms, and stir fry for another minute.  Add in the broccolini florets, and cook for 5 more minutes.  Add the sauce, edammame, and beef, and cook until heated through.
Serve over rice, topped with cashews.

No comments:

Post a Comment