20.12.10

Wild Rice, Veggies, and Tofu

I went to a Sur La Table yesterday, and wanted to look at knives.  Actually, the real reason M and I went there was because I had seen some really cool ornaments for out tree.  We ended up getting a carrot, a head of garlic, broccoli, a tomato, and a bunch of bananas.  They are some of the cutest ornaments that I have ever seen... I love them so much. 
M and I both really want new knives.  We got to talk to a person who was at the knife station, and he showed us a brand that I really liked called Global.  Appearently, they are Japanese, and really popular in California.  Go figure.  But I loved them, mostly because they were so light weight.  Now I really, really want a nice new set of knives.
But, dispite that, I still managed to make one of the best stir frys ever tonight.  And I learned a new way to make tofu- broiling it.  That gives the tofu a nice texture- all crusty and firm.  Oh, I loved this dish.  The sauce was nice and thick, and the wild rice was different and quite a nice change.  L-O-V-E it.  Not to mention it was a nice dish to kind of clean up some leftover things in the fridge and pantry.  The cilantro was a nice touch too, I thought.  And this looked so gourmet too, like something you would find in a fancy restaurant.  And I bet this is way healthier that what you would find at any restaurant, too.
Orangey Tofu and Veggies


Serves 4

Adapted from The Book of Yum

19 oz tofu, cut into 4 slabs and pressed

2 tbsp sherry
¼ cup orange sauce
3 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp. brown sugar
1 tbsp chili garlic paste
1 tbsp corn starch
½ cup cilantro leaves, chopped
1 lb crimini mushrooms, sliced
2 tsp grated ginger
4 cloves of garlic, pressed
1 bunch green onions, chopped
4 baby bok choy, chopped

Wild rice, to serve

Preheat the broiler. Coat a baking sheet with nonstick spray, and put the tofu in a single layer on there.
Meanwhile, mix together the sherry though cilantro in a small bowl.
Broil the tofu for 7-8 minutes on each side, until golden and firm, and keep warm if it finishes before you are ready to serve.
Heat a wok over medium high heat. Add the mushrooms with a bit of water, and sauté for 2 minutes. Add the garlic and ginger, stir those in, and add the green onion. Cook for another couple minutes and add the sauce and bok choy. Continue cooking until the bok choy is tender, about 4 more minutes.
Serve, rice first, then veggies, and finally the tofu.

No comments:

Post a Comment