29.12.10

Walnut Cabbage Stir Fry



This Christmas, M and I did presents kind of differently, because we just went shopping a bunch over the break.  No real wrapped things under the tree, but this way, both M and I agree it's better because we get what we want.
Which is actually kind of true, because most of the things that I recieved were rather unwanted.  Sometimes I wonder why people bother with all this present nonsense, because the majority of it gets returned anyway. 
So yesterday, while out shopping, we wandered into the purse section, because M needs a new one badly.  I think we actually found one that both of us like, and it's a really nice and simple purse.  And then I trotted over to the scarf section, because I have been wanting a scarf forever.  And then I saw this really soft, deep navy blue one, which I fell in love with immediately.  So I bought that.  It was kind of funny, because I wore it out of the store after buying it, because it was so cold outside.  It's soooo soft and warm...
And then we came home and I made this stir fry.  It's really simple to throw together, makes enough to last two people for days, and tastes amazing.  What could go wrong with cabbage and walnuts?  I love this stir fry.  It was kind of funny what happened to the tofu I was roasting though.  I think the cubes shrank to about half their size.  Poor things.  Oh well.  It tasted absolutely amazing, like every time I have made this dish.

Dijon Cabbage and Walnut Stir Fry

Adapted from The Vegetarian Bible

Serves 6-8

8 oz tofu, cubed rather smallish
A few tablespoons of mirin
1 very small purple cabbage, shredded
3 large cloves garlic, pressed
1 small bunch green onions, chopped into about 1 inch pieces
1 very small green cabbage, shredded (just a bit more than your red cabbage)
2-3 tbsp dijon mustard
1 1/2 tbsp poppy seeds
Juice of 1 lemon
1/3 cup chopped walnuts
Salt and pepper, to taste

Preheat the broiler.  Spray a baking sheet with nonstick spray, and spread the tofu onto it in a single layer.  Broil until browned nicely, about 12 minutes.
Meanwhile, heat a wok coated with nonstick spray over medium high heat.  Add a bit of mirin, and then add the red cabbage.  Stir fry for a minute, and then add the garlic, green onions, and green cabbage.  Continue stir frying until almost tender, about 6 minutes. 
Add the remaining ingrients (don't forget about the tofu), and continue stir frying until tender and heated through.  Serve, with additional salt and pepper.

No comments:

Post a Comment