24.12.10

More Orange-Flavoured Broiled Tofu



I cannot say how excited I am about broiling tofu.  This is so amazing- it opens up a whole new world of ideas.  I really like tofu, but my only issue is that it's not very firm, just quite mushy.  That used to be ok, but since I tried the fake meats, I have really not been fond of that flavour.  Well, now that has all changed.  I love broiling tofu.  A lot.  Tons.  Because that gives the tofu a nice firm outside, without having to fry it or anything unhealthy.  Next time I would really like to marinade the tofu beforehand, because I know that would taste even better.  But that will happen on a day where I am no so pressed for time to pull dinner together, like I was last night.  And so here is another spectacular dish using broiled tofu.
The one thing I find really ironic is that both times I have broiled tofu, I have made an orange flavoured sauce.  Although this one is very different from the last one that I have made.  It has cashews, and lots of onion and broccoli.  It's also quite good, and fun to put on a plate becasue of all the different layers.  I just have to be sure not to forget any of the pieces.

Orange Tofu and Broccoli Stir Fry


Serves 4

Adapted from Vegan: Happy Healthy Life

19 oz firm tofu, pressed and cubed
½ cup orange juice
1 Tbsp honey
1 Tbsp rice vinegar
Scant tbsp corn starch
1 small onion, chopped
3 cups broccoli
6 garlic cloves, pressed
1 Tbsp fresh ginger, grated
Rice, to serve
Salt and pepper, to taste
Cashews, to serve

Preheat the oven to broil. Spray a baking sheet with nonstick spray, and spread the tofu cubes evenly across the sheet. Broil for about 15 minutes, turning occasionally, until firm and lightly browned.
Mix the orange juice, honey, vinegar, and corn starch in a small bowl.
Heat a wok over medium heat. Sauté the onion for a minute, and then add the broccoli, garlic, and ginger. Sauté until tender, about 5 minutes. Add the sauce, and cook until thickened.
Serve. Rice on the bottom, then veggies, then tofu, and finally the salt, pepper, and cashews. Add more orange juice or vinegar if needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment